Friday, August 28, 2009

Favorite Things 2/28

If you are a mother you MUST have these. They are the most inspiring, beautiful, books ever, but they also help you to feel not alone in the wonderful world of raising children. Its also nice to read about these amazing women who also have stinkers for kids sometimes, and have a hard time keeping patience.


Contentment: Inspiring Insights for LDS Mothers
By: Maria Covey Cole

The description of this book describes it to the letter: "This beautiful book provides a valuable perspective on the trials and joys of raising a family and the noble calling of motherhood by intertwining heartwarming stories, quotes from prophets and Apostles, and numerous scripture verses."

This is another book my mom gave me for Mother's Day and I have not finished it all the way through yet but I LOVE it as well. It is an inspiring book about being a mother and raising righteous children and makes me want to be a better mother everytime I pick it up.

A Mother's Book of Secrets: Keys to Making Motherhood Memorable, Meaningful, and Magnificent

By: Linda J Eyre and Shawni Eyre Pothier (Mother and Daughter)

This book is absolutely WONDERFUL. My mom gave this to me for Mother's Day and remember I had had my tonsils out over Mother's Day so I never really felt up to reading. However, I have since read through this probably 1/2 a dozen times, especially if I am having one of those days when I just want to run away. Also the pictures in this book are so heart warming and gorgeous, and since I love photography and pictures that makes this a Double 5 Star book for me.



And I will leave you with a thought from the book to ponder on for today.


"It's true that as a mother there is always a never-ending list of things to accomplish. Pay the bills. Check. Do the dishes. Check. Make dinner. Check. Do the shopping. Check. But are we successful if we didn't notice the look on our child's face when he learned to 'pump' on the swing by himself? Is it success if we got lunch done and put the kids down for naps in fifteen minutes' time so we could finish catching up on 'important projects' if we forgot to help the kids finish the puzzle we promised we would? Sometimes success is when we don't get through the to-do list but instead stop long enough to notice the little things. To savor moments. Not only to notice the delight in our children's eyes, but to help create it.

In her book Surrendering to Motherhood, author Iris Krasnow writes that the most important advice she could give mothers is to Be There. She says: '...Being There isn't about money or even about staying home full-time. It's about an emotional and spiritual shift, of succumbing to Being Where You Are When You Are, and Being There as much as possible. It's about crouching on the floor and getting delirious over the praying mantis your son just caught instead of perusing a fax [or filling the dishwasher] while he is yelling for your attention and you distractedly say over your shoulder: 'Oh, honey, isn't that a pretty bug.'

'It's about being attuned enough to notice when your kid's eyes shine so you can make your eyes shine back.' "

0 People Had Somethin' to Say: