Sunday, March 20, 2011

Getting Back to Me

Have you ever felt like somewhere along the way of kids, responsibilities, service, cleaning, housekeeping, wifely duties, jobs, callings, cooking, taxiing, more cleaning, hobbies, and laundry you just wake up one day and say Where did Nicole (you) go?  You have just let yourself slowly get pushed to the side and eventually the back burner just because LIFE takes over.  Well around this time of year, every year, I start to feel like this, and it causes some re-prioritization.  It's probably a symptom of Spring fever along with the other long list of Spring symptoms, but never-the-less its important to take yourself back.  My husband always says "A happy wife is a happy life".  He says it usually in sarcasm as I am asking him to do something he doesn't want to do, but still it may be the smartest thing he has ever said. It's true though.  As women, we do a better job as mothers and wives and the other million other roles we play if we take time to make ourselves happy.  Take time from pleasing others to do something for yourself. 



    In addition to this I also must add Spiritually how do we stay in tune and influence others spiritually if we aren't taking time to ourselves to study and ponder as well.  Sheri Dew said "Because women are innately nurturing, they will sometimes become so busy they don't make time for their own spirituality. In order to be effective ministers, Dew said women need to take time for themselves to be holy.

"If our lives are so busy that we don't have time for our personal worship, something needs to change," she said. "If we could unleash the full influence of covenant-keeping women, the kingdom of God and the world would change overnight."

My problem is I like to be organized and have things "just so". However lately I am spending more time trying to get organized than I am actually doing the things I am trying to organize. Then I get overwhelmed.  I found an outline I liked that I tweaked to fit me, and I know I am going to LOVE it.  I thought if there was anyone out there feeling at all like me then this might help you as well so here it is.  One of my sweet and AMAZING friends Holly does this and she shared it.

Monday :: Order
1. FHE
2. Clean House
Wash bedding/clean toilets etc.
3. Meal Plan for the Week
4. Make Weekly Goals
5. Grocery Shopping & Errands
Tuesday :: Happiness
1. Free Day
2. Laundry
3. Craft with Kids
4. Organize Something small
Wednesday :: Beauty
1. Paint toenails
2. Zone Cleaning
(I downloaded my zone cleaning lists HERE.)
3. Read from the Ensign or other inspiring books
4. Light candles and make dinner a little more special
5. Take a bubble bath
Thursday :: Peace & Serenity
1. Paper work/ bills etc.
2. Look ahead to next week, prepare birthday cards etc.
3. go through the house to see if you can make it more welcoming in any way
4. if you feel like it try a new recipe
5. think about serving those around you
Friday :: Abundance & Joy
1. Any errands that need taken care of
2. Look at your budget: What are you spending??
3. Plan Movie Night/ date night or family activity with the kids
4. Make sure you tell your family you love them! Leave a special note or do something nice for your husband or one of your kids.
Saturday :: Freedom
1. Yard work/ Large jobs
2. think about dinner for Sunday
Any last minute trips to the store?
3. Set aside time to play
4. layout church clothes, diaper bag etc.
Sunday :: Spiritual Focus & Love
1. Make it to church on time!
2. Relax
3. Think about issues that our family needs to discuss for FHE on Monday
4. Think about the blessings in your life
5. Visit family
Monthly
1st day of every month:
Menu plan & look ahead for birthdays of special events
Plan one big project to accomplish during the month
Get visiting teaching done
Loot at what you are spending!! 
 
My Goal this week.... is to stop looking & feeling like this. :)
So my goal to start this week is Organizing my organizing. :) Getting things straightened out so that I have a few spare minutes to start concentrating on myself.  Also, I am excited because our local rec has a night Zumba class at 7:30 pm which is perfect for me.  So even though I have to drive a little bit to do an hour of workout, this is going to be a great quiet time for me and a workout all in one.  If you have something that has worked for you that you care to share about how you got yourself back out of a slump, feel free!  







2 People Had Somethin' to Say:

Skye and Jordon said...

Nicole! WOW, that's exactly how I feel! Thanks so much for posting this, I needed to hear this, and I am going to do this!

Holly said...

Way to go Nicole! It's so true! Those quotes you shared were awesome! :) I know it's helped me in trying to balance my life, I hope it does the same for yours! Have a great week girl!