Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Back to Favorites 5/28

I finally have internet back, and instead of catching up from the week I missed I will just start from where I left off. So for today I am sharing one of my favorite recipes that I have used about 5 times in the last month when I have needed something really yummy, that whips up in a pinch.
Really this is 2 of my favorites rolled into one. I LOVE this website and use it often for many things. Her recipes are amazing and I am so excited she finally has a cookbook coming out, but she also has many other informative sections of her website. Of course the Photography one is my all time favorite. :) So here is the actual link to her tutorial on making this recipe http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/06/the_best_chocol/ and I would advise not getting on her website unless you have hours to kill because you will get sucked in I guarantee you.

(This photo is taken from PW's tutorial and is hers)


"Pioneer Woman Chocolate Sheet Cake

The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever.


Combine in a mixing bowl:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
In a saucepan, melt:
2 sticks butter
Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa. Stir together.
Add 1 cup boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Pour over flour mixture, and stir lightly to cool.

In measuring cup, pour 1/2 cup buttermilk.
Add:
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
Stir buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture. Pour into sheet cake pan and bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes.
While cake is baking, make icing:
Chop 1/2 cup pecans finely.
Melt 1 3/4 sticks butter in a saucepan.
Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat.
Add:
6 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 lb minus 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Stir together.
Add pecans, stir together, and pour over warm cake.


Cut into squares, eat, and totally wig out over the fact that you’ve just made the best chocolate sheet cake. Ever. "

P.S. I have made it with & without the pecans and it is delicious either way.

4 People Had Somethin' to Say:

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

Thanks for the recipe! I can't wait to try it out. BTW, I love reading your blog. :) Your family is so cute.

Nancy said...

Gald to see your up and running again. Not only did I think it was Monday when I talked to you I wore my Monday shirt to work today.

Parry's said...

I have been waiting...K so I saw your ticker. When are you due?

The Douglas's said...

So I didn't know you were due. How fun. When is the date? that recipee looks so good